Lothar Thomas, MD
The first edition of the textbook Labor und Diagnose was published 43 years ago. Since then, several printed versions in German, English and Chinese have appeared. In conformity with the spirit of the time, the current edition Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics 2020 is available for all electronic devices. This enables it’s comfortable use for a broader audience. Clinical laboratory tests are a fundamental pillar in the diagnostics and monitoring of diseases and provide the opportunity to estimate outcome prediction of the individual patient.
Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics 2020 offers the treating physician a quick and competent support for allocation of pathological test results to specific diseases. Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics 2020 is structured as follows:
- The clinical laboratory test in the main menu of the 53 chapters on laboratory tests. In the chapters tables are presented with information, about laboratory findings of the selected disease or disorder. The test results are properly interpreted in the context with the diseases.
- The presumptive diagnosis. The 53 chapters of clinical laboratory tests are preceded by a chapter containing a broad spectrum of diseases and conditions (main menue/chapter 00: Register of diseases). It is possible for every disease to show tables, chapters or sections with information about clinics, laboratory findings, differential diagnosis and course assessment of the selected disease.
The electronic edition is named after the year of publication (e.g., Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics 2020) instead of edition 10. By this way, the reader can see that the content is up to date. New diagnostic information is added every year (e.g., Released 01.01.2022).
Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics 2020 is based on the successful concept of Labor und Diagnose which is known as the standard work in this field for more than 40 years. The contributions are structured according to indication, method of determination, specimen, reference interval, clinical assessment, comments and problems, biochemistry and physiology, and references. In over 500 tables of different diseases the expedient laboratory tests and findings are presented. For a better overview tables and figures are frequently used. References provide an evidence-based presentation.
The use of the electronic edition is convenient for the reader because it enables:
- The reading of the chapters and of the different sections, comparable to the text in the print form.
- The selection of tables, figures and references while reading the text.
- The selection of sections is carried out about the table of contents preceding each chapter
- The subject related disease overview and the list of diseases associated with the chapter provides information on clinics and laboratory findings in diseases.
Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics 2020 contains scientific, clinical and laboratory diagnostic insights updated by the year 2021. As in previous editions, chapters and sections are revised in the electronic edition. New information from current publications, guidelines and recommendations are included. Especially the selection of the presumptive diagnosis facilitates the assessment and follow-up of disease-specific laboratory findings.
Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics 2020 can be accessed using all electronic media. The content of the publications for the electronic media has been implemented by the editor.
Prof. Dr. med. L. Thomas